How to Apply For A Green Card

How to Apply For A Green Card
How to Apply For A Green Card

How to Apply For A Green Card

Apply for, Renew, or Replace a Green Card

A Green Card (Permanent Resident Card):

  1. Gives you official immigration status in the United States
  2. Entitles you to certain rights and responsibilities
  3. Is required if you wish to naturalize as a U.S. Citizen

If you have questions about applying for, renewing, or replacing a Green Card, contact U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Apply for a Green Card

  1. Find out if you’re eligible.
  2. If you are eligible, file Form I-485 – Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status with USCIS, including all supporting documents and fees.
  3. USCIS will review your application and schedule an interview with you. 
  4. Once issued, your Green Card will be valid for 10 years.

Renew or Replace a Green Card

Learn how to renew or replace your Green Card:

  1. Renew your Green Card if your current card expired or will expire in the next six months.
  2. Replace your Green Card for a number of reasons, including loss or theft.

Check Your Case Status

Go online to check the status of your case using your receipt number. 

Beware of Scams

If you are not familiar with the immigration, visa or Green Card process, scammers will try to take advantage of you by getting your personal information or your money. Learn about common immigration scams and identity fraud. You can also file a complaint in your state.

Authenticate Documents

You can present a legal document issued in the United States for use in another country. These documents can include court orders, contracts, vital records, and educational diplomas.

The process to get a document authenticated depends on the specific document, the state in which it was issued, and other factors. Check with your state’s document authentication agency and the Authentications and Apostilles page from the Department of State (DOS).

Do you have any news or article you would like us to publish? Kindly reach us via or